We use a lot of paper to produce our books, that goes without saying. For that reason it is important to us how our books are produced and the impact we, as a company, have on the environment.
We work closely with our printer who purchases all of their paper from FSC registered paper sources. The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) promote environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial, and economically viable management of the world's forests.
But what does this mean?
Environmentally appropriate forest management ensures that the harvest of timber and non-timber products maintains the forest's biodiversity, productivity, and ecological processes.
Socially beneficial forest management helps both local people and society at large to enjoy long term benefits and also provides strong incentives to local people to sustain the forest resources and adhere to long-term management plans.
Economically viable forest management means that forest operations are structured and managed so as to be sufficiently profitable, without generating financial profit at the expense of the forest resource, the ecosystem, or affected communities. The tension between the need to generate adequate financial returns and the principles of responsible forest operations can be reduced through efforts to market the full range of forest products and services for their best value.
But it does not stop there:
- All paper from the printing process is recycled.
- Paper is stored in a biomass heated warehouse.
- All paper from our internal design and administration processes are recycled.
- All the plates used in the printing process are chemical free and made with recycled aluminium, which is in turn recycled.
- All paper is bulk purchased and large vehicle transported to reduce haulage miles.
- All our internal printer cartridges are recycled via HPs recycle and reuse scheme.
- All packaging is recycled.
As a company we also support the use of sustainable transport and while we recognise that this is not always possible we do encourage our staff to take part in the cycle to work scheme.
The Government’s Cycle to Work initiative enables you to help your employees make savings of up to 42% on a brand new bike and safety accessories for cycling to work.
Benefits to employees
- Savings of up to 42% on a new bike and accessories*
- Regular exercise to keep fit and healthy
- Reduces commuting costs
- Helps beat congestion
- Helps minimise carbon footprint